Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling
- The English grammar, punctuation and spelling test was introduced in May 2013 as part of the KS2 SATs programme for Year 6 pupils, replacing the previous English writing test.
- In May 2016, the test was updated (in line with the new primary curriculum) and was made more challenging.
- At Mildmay Junior School we explicitly teach grammar, punctuation and spelling during dedicated lessons and all children have a grammar book which they use as a reference guide to support their learning.
- The purpose, however of teaching grammar is not simply to name of parts of speech, nor is it to provide arbitrary rules for ‘correct’ English. It is about making children aware of key grammatical principles and their effects thus increasing the range of choices open to them when they write.
- These skills are applied and further taught during all writing lessons across the curriculum.
Below is a link to all the terms taught in KS1 and KS2.