Unit 1: Rules and Responsibilities
Lesson 1: Structure
The lesson plan we refer to in school is attached, so you can see how to discuss this work with your child and the outcomes we are looking to achieve.
Ask the pupils to imagine a school with no structure – no start and finish times, no assemblies, no timetable.
• Do the same with home – no bedtimes, no rota for jobs.
• Write a description of what might be happening in both these settings without structure, using the templates provided.
• Establish that it wouldn’t work. Everyone would be doing things for themselves with no regard for each other. Can they suggest any rules that would improve things for everyone?
Introduce the term ‘anarchy’. The word anarchy comes from the Greek words
(without / no) and archos (ruler) and means ‘without rule’. Anarchists believe in total
freedom for individuals, where everyone is in charge of themselves, with no rules and no laws.
• Would they like to live in an anarchic state?
• Interestingly, anarchy has never actually succeeded!